It was a normal church staff meeting that Tuesday
morning….or at least that was my thought process heading into it. It didn’t take long to discover this meeting
was like no other staff meeting I had ever attended. You see, my pastor of 14 years had made a
decision to “release” his entire staff.
As you can imagine, my world had just been turned upside
down. I couldn’t process what had
happened and definitely couldn’t see God’s hand in it. My heart was broken, not only for myself, but
for all those on staff who I loved and had lived life with for so many
years.
Over the next two years I went through what I would call an
identity crisis. I cried buckets of
tears. I mourned over what had been
lost. Relationships were broken and I
felt completely betrayed. Ministry was
my passion and my life was about serving God….so how did I end up without a
church home, without a job, and without a place to serve? Without all of that,
who was I? I can honestly tell you that I had no idea!
As I began to soul search and allow God to heal my
brokenness, I came to a startling revelation.
Due to my own insecurities and wanting to please everyone, I had become a chameleon. I adapted to whatever expectations were
placed on me. My behavior, my
preferences, everything about me had been shaped and molded from other people’s
expectations! Once that revelation hit
me, I began the journey of finding the real me.
I started by praying and asking God to reveal to me who He
sees when he looks at me. I searched the
word of God and found scriptures telling me that I am His masterpiece (Eph.
2:10) and that I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14). I meditated
on His word and saturated my soul with God’s love for me. My husband and I found a new church home to
get plugged in to and began making new friends. We have come full circle and are now serving
again in church. God is truly the great
healer and restorer of our souls.
I am more aware now than ever, that women suffer greatly
from insecurities. We live in a world
that puts higher demands on women every day to be wife, supermom and successful
career woman all at the same time. Thank
God He has set us free to see ourselves through the eyes of our Father and not
through the eyes of this world. If you
struggle with your identity, maybe it’s time for your own journey.
Dianne,
ReplyDeleteAs I read your blog post I realize how true your experience is to so many women. I'm super stoked that God has you on a path of finding and being who He wants you to be, and realizing that who you are is amazing!