Monday, October 14, 2013

A Life Interrupted

By Jessica Grimbleby


I always felt like I was a go with the flow type of gal. You know, roll with the punches. All of that changed, or more the truth of my life smacked me in the face, when I had kids.

Having kids is like getting on a roller coaster you can't get off. There are slow times and fast times, sharp turns and long straights, ups and downs. And no matter how much you plan, those little people throw your plans out the window. Parenthood has really shown me new perspective on my life with God because that's kind of like our lives with God.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.   Proverbs 16:9 (NIV)

We plan and plan and plan but God has other plans. We want to go one way and God wants us to go another.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declared the Lord. "As the Heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."   Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV)

I am constantly reminded of this. I am a planner. I like to map out what I think my life is going to look like. And I am reminded time and time again that just because I want something for my life doesn't mean that is what God wants for my life. Sure, I can fight Him and still live my life my way. But I would much rather live my life in the way He wants, with his blessing.

Just because God planned something for me doesn't mean it is going to be easy. In fact, so often I feel he chooses the hard way for me. But those hard ways have always proven to be fruitful and so perfect for my life. Every day I have to consciously give my life, my plans, to God and see where He wants me to go.

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you. Psalm 32:8

No comments:

Post a Comment