Tuesday, December 24, 2013

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

by Ev Horne

Is it me, or is Christmas just the most wonderful time of the year?


I love Christmas time. Beginning at Thanksgiving and going right through Christmas and New Years.  It just seems people seem a little “lighter” at this time of year.  They seem more friendly and courteous.  Oh, I know, you can’t go a day without the news making sure you are aware of every tragedy and every unjust thing in the world.  But really, in your own little corner of this earth, doesn’t it seem just a little brighter?  It does on my corner anyway.

I was talking with a friend last night. We were talking about how much I love this time of year.  I love eating turkey from Thanksgiving to New Years.  I told her I think people are just a little nicer; they seem to smile more and be friendlier.  She said, “Why do you think that is?” Well, I think it’s because at this time of year, everyone tends to worship God, even without thinking about it.  We sing Christmas songs all the season long.  Radio stations play Christmas songs.  It reminds me of the story of when Jesus rode the colt of a donkey into Jerusalem in Luke 19:38-40.  All the people were saying,Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!And some of the Pharisees called to Him from the crowd “Teacher, rebuke Your disciples.”  But He answered and said to them, “I tell you that if these should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.” (NKJV)

All across the world, people are singing Silent Night, Holy Night, We 3 Kings, Go Tell It on the Mountain, O Come All Ye Faithful.  I’ll bet there might even be an Atheist accidently singing one of those songs! It was a special time when our Savior was born.  The spiritual world must have been abuzz with what was going to happen.  Angel choirs getting ready to sing at the proclamation of the living God come to earth.  WOW! Stands to reason, why celebrating the birth of our Savior is a special time and we can’t help but sing songs that worship Him.  So, sing your heart out and remember, He inhabits the praise of His people.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Ev, thank you for that. I love the idea of even athiests' singing songs of praise to the God they don't even acknowledge, even if by accident! So, let us all keep singing...we never know who it will rub off on!! Merry Christmas to all!

    ReplyDelete